Business in Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia Januar to March 2009
I am here in Kuala Lumpur for business and stayed in the Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel. KL is a modern city and the first impression is about traffic and shopping in it's 66 shopping centers. I visited some of the attraction during the weekends and after work. Most famous are the the Petronas Twin Towers you see on the right which have become an iconic symbol of Malaysia's futuristic developments.
Kuala Lumpur has a tropical rain-forest climate which is warm and sunny. One of the amazing facts is that one can (almost) set its wristwatch after the daily torrential rainfalls from 17:00 to 18:00. Temperatures tend to remain constant about 30 all year.
The 42 high Buddha stature of Murugan is the most impressive and just located outside ht Batu Caves. We went with five colleges on Sunday 25 January by public transportation to the Batu Caves 13 kilometers north of Kuala Lumpur.
Bird-park and Orchid Garden
Located in the serene and scenic famous Lake Gardens, the Bird park is also well known as "World's Largest Free-flight Walk-in Aviary". Next to it is also the Orchid Garden. For five MYR entry fee you are admitted to this rather disappointing facility. The best orchids you can find in the Gardens' shop.
The Chinese New Year
The Chinese New Year is approaching fast. In the office gifts are given mostly food baskets and tangerines. It is important that presents are red. Tangerines are a common gift because they are somehow red. tangerines in read boxes stack up in the office each has 24 in it and cost about 16 MYR. It is important to give eight or a multiple of eight tangerines as this is a Chinese lucky number. There a special nice decorated gift packages with 8 Mandarins which you could get for 32 MYR.
Sunday 08 March may college Marie and me take the Express bus to the 55 km far Genting Highlands for nice rest. It is situated on a mountain peak about 1700 m high. We tool the cabin lift up and experience I am quite used to, since I life in Switzerland. If was foggy and quite cooler then the usual 30°C in KL. However Genting Highlands is not much about nature. It actually appeared to be more like Las Vegas.Greetings from Kuala Lumpur
- Ringgit,(RM),(MYR), 1 EUR ~ 5 MYR (2009)
- Time zone:
- MST (UTC+8), Summer (DST) not observed (UTC+8)
- The main airport, Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at Sepang, Selangor, is located about 50 kilometres south of city.
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required to enter Malaysia, if transiting through an infected area.
- Entry requirements:
- For a visit of less than three months, citizens of the UK, US and EU can obtain a free single-entry visa on arrival at the main international airports and land border crossings. Citizens of other countries require a tourist visa. Passports should be valid for at least six months after the date of arrival in Malaysia. All visitors must have proof of adequate funds and an onward or return sea or air ticket.